Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Future of Peyton Manning?

The saying goes "To be the best, you have to beat the best." What is left unsaid is "To be the best, you just have to outlast the rest."

I hate Peyton Manning as the signal caller for the Colts. Why? Really? Manning only owns the Texans. Yet as much as I hate Manning, I respect the hell out of him for the way he approaches the game. Also I hate that if he leaves the NFL it's on an injury and not his own terms.

Manning commands the field like no other player I've seen live. His presence on the field is absolutely commanding. Manning isn't a quarterback...he's a field marshal. He commands, he directs, he analyzes the defense, he attacks. Of course, Colts management surrounded him with talent to do that. However if the skills aren't there the Manning couldn't do.

Despite all that, Manning is still human. As super as he maybe, age respects no one. Manning is 35. He had trouble with his neck this offseason and again had another procedure done on his neck. At this point it becomes a fair question...is Manning done?

I don't know if Manning will play another down. The media reports that he may play late in the season. My question is why? If the Colts are in the playoff race down the stretch, I might consider it if I were the Colts brain trust. If the team is totally out of it, why risk Manning? Why risk a more serious injury?

My View on the Situation
The goal in football isn't to beat the best. The goal is to win every game. If Peyton Manning isn't lining up tomorrow under center, I don't care. The Texans must go out there and take advantage of his absence. The goal right now is to win the division and make the playoffs. What better time to start than striking against a weakened enemy?

Every team wants to win the Super Bowl. What you do is beat the team that lines up across from you. You show no mercy. Spare them not just because they don't have their best player...you for all the marbles and you do it now at the expense of your enemy.

So all the naysayers who say if the Texans win it's a cheap win...I say no it's not...it's outlasting your enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment